Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hello. My name is . . .

Kelly Magelky, and this is my first blog entry, after my first race of the year, and after my first winter training with AIC. I've been racing mountain bikes as a pro since 2006 - and I've spent most of those years racing for Trek Bicycles. Over this last winter, I joined the Honey Stinger/Trek Off-Road team and I sometimes, still, can't believe how fortunate I am.


I think we all can agree that waking up in the morning and hearing birds chirping - especially after a long winter - is an absolute great feeling. However, one of the things I do like about the winter is that I can hand craft the foundation of my upcoming race season. In the past, this included many hours on the trainer, many hours in the cold mountains, and countless moments of the 'fire-pain' that you feel when your fingers and toes start to thaw! My good friend and roommate, George Mullen, introduced me to Kevin and Jonathan at AIC as he saw an opportunity to help me improve my winter preparations. Well, this turned out to be a huge oppportunity...

I also own a small business that keeps me traveling worldwide throughout the year, so I'm basically trying to hit a moving target - all the time. If you're bored, here's a sample of what we do.

The program that was designed for me has really changed the game for my training. I've been to France, Belgium, Colombia, Italy, back to France and Belgium, and recently Spain - all since December! And I can honestly say that I am measurably more fit coming into a season than I have been in the past. (and without the usual number of cold rides!) One thing I feel confident in saying is that I'm not scared to do the work - in fact I love it. I've heard comments that maybe I ride my bike too much. Well, maybe the trips overseas were a good thing, but I do know that the workouts I was prescribed to do while I was traveling certainly upped the game for me.



So, the first race yesterday... I felt great. (although my technical skills disappeared - maybe due to lack of sleep?) I think this was the best opening race I've had and I know that when I get the first few starts under my belt, I'm ready to take aim at the big goals of the year - and most importantly, have a ton of fun.

Thanks for reading.

km

No comments:

Post a Comment